Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

Dave is Great (he'll like this blog title)

Dave's surgery was successful and the nodule was benign! Praise be to God! His surgery was at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday and he was discharged at 3 p.m. the same day. He looked and felt great almost immediately. The rest of the week he took pain pills, slept and tried not to talk too much or move his head from side to side. I was worried that he was becoming addicted to the pain pills, so I flushed them down the toilet (just kidding -- he only took them occasionally for the first 2 days after surgery). The incision site is definitely noticeable, but will fade over the next 12 months. In fact, it already looks much better than it did the day of the surgery. There's a photo in the May folder if you're interested. Here's a cute one of Sam just because...

While Dave was on the operating table and I was by his side (if by his side means working out at the gym by the hospital) Sam was at home with his na-nah-- the first time we've left Sam with anyone besides the church nursery or YMCA child watch. Na-nah reassured me that she raised two kids, but I wasn't so sure. Na-nah had fun with Sam and was impressed by his mobility and ability to get into everything in the house. Sam enjoyed having someone give him undivided attention. I was happy to have a day where I didn't have to worry about getting home to take care of Sam. So, I guess the only way Dave and I can get time together outside of the house is if one of us has surgery! I seriously need to locate a babysitter.
Sam is a walking fool, and he's even starting to (kind of) run. He loves playing chase, especially with his dad. One cute thing I noticed with Sam is that he has a favorite comfort animal he likes to help him fall asleep. Actually there are two animals in his crib; both light blue dogs that are the exact same size and shape (dog head and the body of the dog is just a blanket). He's had the original one (which is all blue) since he was about 6 months old. The second one came around 9 months (back-up dog) and is blue with brown trimming. When Sam is placed in his crib, he always reaches for the original all-blue dog. He ignores the brown-trimmed impostor! So much for having the back-up toy.

Two last quick items. Sam has learned to give his animal friends "a hug and a kiss". It's adorable. And yesterday, he fed himself with a fork for the first time (dad put the food on the fork and handed the fork handle to Sam). As always, there are new photos in the May folder.

3 comments:

Dave Ribar said...

I do like the title. And I think it could/should be used more often; not just when I have surgery.

By the way, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It meant a lot.

Does anyone ever read these comments? I know nobody (hardly) ever writes any.

Unknown said...

hey, we're glad Dave is doing well..and you know we'll always babysit for you...though at your house not ours as we have a ferocious cat! :)

julie said...

glad your great, david!! I do read these comments and have posted one or two in the past... i love reading all of the little stories in the blog and seeing your pictures! I show everyone at work ...I miss you all. can't wait to see you again!!!